Four weeks ago I started a little something I called 52 Packages. The basic idea is to give or send a package to someone sweet, once a week, for a year. I’ve had the idea for about 18 months and have been sporadically doing it on and off over that time. Every time I did it it felt good – both for me and the person on the receiving end. It was like a little ark of joy sparking between the two of us, sometimes lighting up shadowy corners with dark stuff hiding in them.
Last month I decided that I wanted to try and give it a consistent crack … every week … for a year. I know that a gratitude practice is a key tenant to mental wellbeing, as it making time to be creative. So I combined the two. This weekly thankful practice is something to remind me to stop for a moment and express gratitude by thanking someone in my life. The idea is to send a little package of love each week so that after a year this weekly act has become a beautiful part of my routine and a way to inspire me and those in your life. It’s also an awesome way to commit to a weekly creative date with yourself and I think we could all do with a little weekly creativity! And have now invited people to package along with me.
You can check out some examples of my own and other lovely #52packages on my Instagram (@ofkin).
A few people have been asking me on Instagram to share the ‘rules’ of 52 Packages. Well, there are no rules! It doesn’t matter if you don’t feel you can keep up with one a week, or if you don’t know where to start. You can start any time, any day and with anyone. If you miss a week, don’t stress. Try again the next week. This practice shouldn’t make you feel guilty or anxious. It’s about kindness, love, thankfulness and compassion – for both yourself and the receiver. You can send a package to absolutely anyone and it doesn’t have to be by traditional. Think of all those wonderful people in your life, people you might say thank you to often and others you might not, or have been meaning to for a while.
Here’s a little inspiration for your 52 packages…
- Send a beautiful handwritten card to a family member
- Catch up with a friend and shout them a coffee
- Bake some goodies and take them into work for your colleagues
- Congratulate someone for an achievement – it could be anything!
- Surprise a loved one with a bunch of foraged flowers or small bunch of herbs from your garden
- Welcome a new baby to the world with a sweet parcel or vintage print
- Send a poem to someone special
- Write an anonymous love letter and post!
- Make a parcel of lovely stationery and gift to someone in your life
- Celebrate a birthday, wedding, new job, graduation and more!
- Farewell a friend on their adventures with an inspiring package
- Write down the lyrics to your favourite song and send them to someone special
- Get your DIY on and craft up someone creative for someone in your life
- Send a quote card to a wonderful friend
- Check this website for more random acts of kindness inspo
The list is endless. Thank anyone and everyone. Thank someone for just being. Gift with love. Smile big.
Don’t forget to share it on social media using the hashtag #52packages and spread the love. By sharing with others, we’re inspiring random acts of kindness across the globe.
I’d love to see what packages you’re creating! Tag me on Instagram (@ofkin) too.
Much love to you kin x